Gemmology Foundation course of Gem-A is ideal for those keen to get the best start in their gemstone education. Whether you want to further your career in the trade or simply learn about gemstones, this course is for you. Once completed you will be able to identify, test and handle a wide variety of gemstones. Studying the Foundation is essential for those who want to go on to study our Gemmology Diploma and gain FGA status — symbols of excellence.
5 to 6 Weeks On-site learning Saturdays from 8.30 am to 2.30 pm. Additional home study with the fully illustrated course notes, and practical training with set of gemological instruments and the practical workbook
Gem-A Level 4 in Gemmology (under Ofqual)
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN?
- What constitutes a gemstone, how to identify common gem materials confidently, and the properties and uses of certain gem materials
- To apply knowledge of gemstone properties to their proper care and commercial use, including gemstone fashioning and use in jewellery
- To explain the value and price factors of gemstones
- To handle rough, cut and set gem materials, such as diamond, sapphire, ruby and emerald, as well as organics and a range of treated and imitation gem materials
- How to use basic gemological equipment and report accurately on the various observations and results of tests conducted on gemological specimens
- The origin and formation of gemstones and the various stages of the gemstone pipeline
- How to compare and contrast features and properties of gem materials, treatments and synthetics to distinguish between gemstones
Fully illustrated Foundation course notes. Chinese Traditional, Chinese Simplified, Japanese and French course notes are also available to purchase. Contact the Education department (email@example.com) for prices.)
Foundation practical workbook
Foundation stone set containing rough and cut specimens.
Portable instrument kit, including 10× lens, tweezers, stone cloth, spectroscope, dichroscope, flexi light, flat light, folding polariscope, conoscope, Chelsea Colour Filter and kit bag
- Assessed coursework (Four online assessments) worth 20% of final grade.
- Written examination (Foundation theory paper) worth 40% of final grade.
- Written examination (Foundation practical paper) worth 40% of final grade.
- Practical endorsement — completion essential.
- Gem-A On-site and ODL language requirements: Basic English qualification, e.g. IELTS (Level 6) or TOEFL (score of 87-109).
- ATC – Sri Lanka : English Language- GCE (O.L.)
- Age Limit: Above 18 years.
- Gemmology Diploma (at ATC Colombo), leading to eligibility for FGA status.
- Diamond Diploma( at Gem-A), leading to eligibility for DGA status.
- BSc in Gemmology & Jewellery Studies at Birmingham City University (requires successful completion of Gemmology Foundation, Gemmology Diploma and Diamond Diploma).
- Coloured Stones Grading Course at Gem-A.
HOW TO APPLY?
Course are conducted twice a year - from January to June and from June to next January Applications are issued from this institute before start of the course for each session Applications can be obtained from this centre. Registration at this centre at least 4 weeks before the star of the course facilitate to obtain the study pack before the start of the course